Sunday, January 27, 2008

Shit-talking about Schoenberg

Evidently, I have been called upon to defend the honor of Arnold Shoenberg, my enjoyment of whom has apparently struck a, no doubt, dissonant chord with a certain blogger.

Well, I can not account for the tastes of others ...

I will, however, note that the Kingsley Amis quote cited by the aforementioned blogger is dead wrong. "20th Century classical music," which is to say atonal music, has found a popular audience through film (the shower scene in Psycho is probably the single best example), as well as in some forms of jazz. Even kids today and their crazy "math rock" exhibit a hint of Schoenberg's legacy in their music.

So, I see no point in arguing whether Schoenberg and his disciples are fit for public consumption any more so than I would suggest Oprah choose Finnegans Wake for her next book club pick or pretend any casual observer has any idea what's going on in the paintings of Francis Bacon or Jackson Pollack. They have all influenced other artists who have translated their visions into far more accessible works.

Schoenberg may not win any popularity contests, but that doesn't make him any less of an artist, nor his music any less enjoyable for those willing to go the extra mile to appreciate it.

8 comments:

Dad29 said...

atonal music, has found a popular audience through film (the shower scene in Psycho is probably the single best example

It fits. That's the point of Amis' argument.

Jb said...

Explain ...

illusory tenant said...

What'd I tell ya.

Jb said...

You were right! But, alas, I still took the bait ...

Dad29 said...

Schoenberg, psycho.

Same shit, different name.

Dad29 said...

But I'll make an exception for Friede auf Erde with which you are undoubtedly familiar (as I am.)

illusory tenant said...

See? Dad's aight. He's just crazier than a fish in a car wash.

Jb said...

The judges will except that answer ...