Friday, January 11, 2008

Machismo

First of all, let me state unequivocally that I am a huge Michael Mann fan. Heat is obviously a classic and Collateral is the best Tom Cruise movie in ages. So hearing that Mann might be bringing his circus to town (and, as it happens, to the home of the Circus World Museum in Baraboo) is enough to get me through the rest of the winter.

Also my testosterone levels are now at an artificially high level -- perhaps the highest levels since I followed the day I killed that Kodiak bear using naught but my own two hands with an evening of passionate love-making to the women of the Sultan of Persia's harem ... or at least had that dream about same. Mann movies tend to be about, well, manly things: dudes with guns, honor amongst thieves, power, and over-the-top definitions of "respect." Jesus, just take a look at this commercial he directed for Nike this year:


Awesome, right? I can't recall women playing anything more than an ancillary role in any of his movies -- but, really, who cares?

Anyway, if this does pan out -- and the Grand Opera House would be an awesome place to shoot an old vaudeville scene (knocking on wood) -- count me in as an extra, hopefully one who gets to die a bloody death in hail of gunfire. I'll get my SAG card if I have to.

No comments: