Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Right This Way, Mr. Thompson ....

Thank you for playing and -- don't forget, now! -- we have some lovely parting gifts for you back stage:

More gaffes from Fred Thompson: Not only has he misspoken or said he didn't know about Terri Schiavo, or the controversy about oil drilling in the Everglades, or that he was unaware that a federal judge had ruled that lethal injection procedures in his home state of Tennessee were unconstitutional, last night in Iowa he said that the Dems controlled congress when John Roberts went through his confirmation hearings for Chief Justice.

That is wrong, the Republicans still controlled the Senate and the Judiciary Committee of course, and Fred was designated to make the rounds on Capitol Hill at the time as Roberts’ shepherd.

Here’s what he said:

“The president called me up and asked me to help shepherd judge John Roberts’ nomination through the Senate confirmation process. I was honored that I got that call. I was honored that he thought I had enough friends on the Democratic side that they wouldn't run me out of town!

“We fought hard against each other, but I always thought that we had mutual respect. And that's what it takes.
“Even though the other party controlled the Judiciary committee, we got some votes there. For a good, sound, what I would call conservative justice.”

If I may quote Rear Admiral Joshua Painter: "This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."

[via OW]

MORE: Wow ... I may not have been all that far off on my Hunt for Red October reference: this week FDT apparently referred to Russia as the Soviet Union.

No comments: