Monday, September 10, 2007

Letters!

I haven't had a chance to scratch my head at letter to the editor lately (which is a good good thing), but this one caught my eye this morning:

I sent letters, to be exact three, over nine months to our famous Governor Doyle and Senator Russ Feingold, and Senator Herb Kohl. Senator Herb Kohl had the time to reply in almost three to four weeks. Doyle and Feingold were too ignorant to answer; if this is Representation they only want us citizens when they want our votes.

Now it's my turn to be ignorant. He just lost my vote and so did Feingold. I will vote for whomever is running against them. I hope more senior citizens do the same.

I showed them how to cut state taxes and not close schools.

Leon Klein Wautoma

This is unfortunate. If the issue is state taxes then there's really no reason for Klein to be mailing letters to Washington. Sens. Kohl and Feingold can't do a damn thing about those taxes. On the other hand, if Klein's letter was sincere and respectful, it would behoove both Senators to respond to their constituent in a manner that directs them to his state legislators. Gov. Doyle's office should have at least sent a polite letter thanking him for his input.

Then again, maybe they are in the process of doing so. It may very well take several months to respond to unsolicited mail -- though I would imagine that the publication of this letter will expedite the process.

Now, about the really amazing claim made in the letter: "I showed them how to cut state taxes and not close schools."

Great! One question, though: How?

I realize that the 300 word limit imposed by the NW on letters to the editor is a bit restrictive when summarizing tax policy, but is it too much to ask for an outline? Maybe just a little hint of what the plan entails? Some -- any -- evidence?



No comments: