Sunday, July 1, 2007

N.I.M.H.

With all the to-do w/r/t Ratatouille Daniel Larison gives some much needed love to the greatest vermin-cast animated film of all time, The Secret of NIMH. That movie terrified me as much as it mystified me as a kid. I think the last time I saw it was few years ago as I was trying to cure a night's bout of insomnia with some television and I still got the same chills all over again.

And I have to confess, I got those same chills today when I found out that NIMH actually stands for National Institute for Mental Health (I had previously thought it was just a maguffin -- the word just sounded appropriately dark and foreboding and I never really thought it stood for anything other than a "fictional" laboratory.)

That puts an interesting twist on the story.

No comments: