Friday, September 7, 2007

iGrief

I'm going to agree with Megan McArdle on this:

I suspect that the first emotion that the iPhone buyers felt was not anger at Apple, but anger at themselves for having such insistent preferences. The regret that you are a moron, however, is much harder to bear than the regret that Apple has turned out to be evil.


I have no real allegiance to Apple, but as a recovering Indie Rock kid I too remember the dreaded pangs that came when this band or that band inevitably sold out (or just started to suck, the feeling of disappointment is remarkably similar).

To a certain extent, it's just just the beginning of a trajectory that reminds me of the Kubler-Ross stages of grief, but in reverse:

Acceptance: The iPhone costs what, now?
Depression: Oh, man, that sucks! I so could've used that $200!
Bargaining: Maybe I can get my money back?
Anger: Man, I'm going to write that Steve Jobs an e-mail and give him a piece of my mind!
Denial: I'm never going to buy an Apple product ever again!


Of course, whomever this guy is, he's back at the Apple Store the next week.

So, yes, I agree with McArdel that "the regret that you are a moron" is much harder to bear, but that's why we quickly move on to thinking that Apple is evil -- it's just easier to deal with.

No comments: